Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Captain Christopher Newport was an English sailor and privateer. He is best known as the captain of the Susan Constant, the largest of three ships which carried settlers in 1607 on the way to found the settlement at Jamestown in the Virginia Colony, which became the first permanent English settlement in North America. He was born in 1561, and died in 1618. He made several voyages of supply between England and Jamestown. In 1609, he became Captain of the new supply ship Sea Venture, which met a hurricane and was shipwrecked in Bermuda. That event began Bermuda's permanent settlement by England.

5 comments:

  1. You and I are related. I am also a direct descendant of Christopher Newport through Marian Hatcher and her son Benjamin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog. I also join Jamestowne through my William Hatcher/Benj. Hatcher line. I am now trying to document Marion Newport to Christopher and am having a hard time. Do you know where this is listed in books, records etc. Thanks.... notyourbaboo@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the Hatcher / Newport marriage on ancestry.com . . . I wasn't looking for it. It was just there. I didn't even know how important Newport was till I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it on ancestry.com . . . I wasn't looking for it and didn't even know how important Newport till I found the documents on ancestry. : 0)

    ReplyDelete